Monday, April 9, 2012

TRC News - a new direction

by Gabrielle Price

Considering the amount of social media connections one can make on the internetz, I've decided to let those connections work 'for me' rather than against me in sharing news with readers.

Not only am I a writer and photographer, but a news analyst.  Over the last two years, I have made it my mission to wade through the vast wasteland of US news outlets to pluck out nuggets of truth to share with my readers.  It's a lot like performing an autopsy on US media and then harvesting the good organs that haven't shut down yet.  My research background comes in handy for this task.

My comments on social sites tend to be rather colorful -- my Gonzo comes out often but the new 'timeline' everyone loves to cheer or complain about has its downside.  I can't find a damn thing I posted three weeks ago to connect other stories that have been shared earlier -- which is important for researching in order to help you connect the dots.

That and some seriously golden Gonzo moments are sucked into Facebook's blackhole where I cannot retrieve them.  So, from now on -- I will do my news analysis here on the blog.  It needs more content and I can keep my research and verbal color palette in one place for myself and for my readers.  Win/win!

With Facebook's recent changes and the news that it just purchased the photo sharing company, Instagram -- I have decided to keep all my eggs in TRC's basket -- not Zuckerberg's.

US media is cracking down hard on citizen journalists -- especially when it comes to covering Occupy through the big brother tools of "free" social media.  We all know in this climate that nothing is free.  We either agree to be mined for data, spied upon or do not use social media at all.  OR we use their tools to our advantage.  I have recently changed to open source software for my OS as well as my browser.  I will defend my free speech here with all the tools at my disposal, until they make it impossible to do so.

I hope you'll find this new direction worthwhile and will make TRC a valuable resource for news you can use in the future.  Many thanks to all who support TRC and free speech everywhere.


TRC is run solely on donations from patrons via PayPal. If you enjoy TRC's work, please consider donating. Any amount is generous. Receipt will read The Road Home, Inc. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TRC features media analysis, social critiques and spiritual refreshments focused on the socio/cultural impacts of a post-9/11, post-carbon, ponzi scheme world teetering on the edge of mass awakening or mutually assured destruction.

In the spirit of mass awakening, the following types of comments will not be approved:

- Comments that criticize any class of people as a whole, especially when based on an attribute they don't have control over
- Comments that explicitly call for violence
- Comments with links to third party sites that are not relevant to the content of the conversation. No spam.
- Because we moderate comments does not mean we do not have a sense of humor. The Royal 'We', you know, the editorial...
- Just...you know...take it easy, man. We're all in this together.